Friday, July 25, 2008

3 down, 25 to go

I'm very glad to be able to say I've completed three treatments - and overall, they've gone well.

My first treatment was scheduled for Monday. I was not happy when the treatment center called a few hours before the appointment to tell me that the Novalis machine wasn't working, and that my appointment that day was cancelled. While I can't say I was looking forward to the treatment, I had very much wanted to have completed a session. Later in the day, it became funny, and I had to be glad that at least I wasn't the last person in the machine before it needed maintenance. For all of you that I've worked with maintaining equipment - I'm sure you understand how ironic the whole day felt!

On Tuesday, as I began my first treatment, I was full of questions about what broken down the previous day, how it was fixed and how often the equipment failed. I became convinced that the equipment was even more reliable than Oxnard's Co-Gens, and decided I could proceed. (The Oxnard Family Care plant has two co-generation units, and the department has a long and proud history of operating them at Best in Class reliability.)

The treatment itself was painless and not too scary. I was able to bring my own music CD. The total process takes about 15-20 minutes, of which 8 - 45 second blocks of time are actual radiation treatment. I've continued to ask so many questions that the techs are going to take pictures today's session so that I can better understand how the process works. I'll save the rest of the details for the next posting and will include the photos.

I did have a mild headache for the first couple of days, but that has gone away. This was a big relief. It is my hope to complete the first week without a significant headache, as this will mean that I'm likely out of the woods on one potential complication -brain swelling. I am grateful for: finally starting treatment, supporting and understanding co-workers, very smart and insightful friends who seem to call with just exactly the advice or reminder that I need, and a supportive husband and children.

To More Faith,

Amy

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Amy,

Sue told me about your blog, and I just wanted to check in with a note of support and encouragement. You seem to be handling this with such grace, strength and faith. You are in my prayers and I know you'll get through this just fine!

Take care,
Dianne